What is inbound and outbound marketing ?
- Below chart summarizes both
- Inbound marketing refer to efforts devoted to securing data and information from a variety of sources so that it can be used to guide marketing plans and prorams
- These include customer research, competitive intelligence, industry analysis etc.
- Inbound marketing is like a firm’s radar, people who carry out these activities are constantly scanning the horizon of the marketplace to identify market -based issues such as:
- General trends
- Economic signals
- Competitive activities
- Potential opportunities
- Outbound marketing encompasses the work activities a carried out to create programs that communicate your message to customers and analysts using:
- public relations
- other promotional and communication avenues
An understanding of the difference between each type of activities. One might find in small sized firms product management and engineering team assisting marketing with the inbound portion as they might lack technical skills or dedicated staff with skills to assist them.
Source: Haines, S. (n.d.). The Product Manager’s Desk Reference.