What is active Ideation in a product environment ?
- As quarterback of the cross-funcational team, the product manager’s mantra should be “What next ?”
- Ideation s a term used to define the methods and techniques that generate ideas through market sensing, market exploration and other discovery techniques.
- Ideation is often associated with innovation, which seems a natural connection
- How to do Ideation:
- You and your team should constantly scan market for opportunity signals
- Just like using a telescope, focus on both near and far away opportunities to scope out the details and the bigger picture.
- Scrutinize all facets of patterns, trends, and other signals attentively
- Don’t zip past vital signs, or you may miss something without even knowing it
- Market based patterns and trends are first places on which to focus your Ideation as they contain lot of material to take in.
- Next one can check other sources like trade journals, business publications, customer visit notes, informational feeds etc
- Once knowledge is collected, it must be shared with cross-functional team members on a continuous basis
- Bring these people together for some story telling and brain storming. Here’s why:
- Storytelling allows people to express what they’ve seen or read in a way that builds context. Stories can include visuals, diagrams and mind maps to connect ideas to implications, issues, systems, people or other random topics that may emerge
- Brainstorming helps stimulate “So what?” questions, allowing them to identify potential answers that may clarify problems or inspire solutions
An understanding of the active Ideation process.
Source: Haines, S. (n.d.). The Product Manager’s Desk Reference.