What is a data association map and how to construct a story from it ?
- In any product organization, product managers must harness troves of data in order to manage their products proficiently
- However individual data elements do not provide enough value unless interrelated to each other for insights
- To start connecting the dots, visually associate various data elements or metrics to you can create a storyline or conversational thread.
- Diagram below depicts a data association map
- With above map you can construct the following story:
- Our product unit sales were in line with our forecast until a competitor introduced a new product
- While the competitor achieved greater sales numbers for three months, it had some product quality problems and could not ship on time
- We created a marketing campaign to talk about our high levels of customer satisfaction and then launched a major product replacement that easily beat out goals for the new product revenue during the year.
- Overall we have a great year!
- Similar stories can be knit from relevant data points in an organization to be shared with executives, when probed for evidence – data points can be shared.
An understanding of story telling by using data association map that can tell a story yet back it up with data points when requested.
Source: Haines, S. (n.d.). The Product Manager’s Desk Reference.