What is a counting back launch plan ?
- Above is an approach that breaks down the tasks of the launch deliverable from the end-point back to the start point
- To use above approach, first thing one has to do is sequence the project as if one was starting from the beginning. A sample of such tasks is given below:
- From these eleven start-to-finish steps, we now construct a project profile of finish to start, with the finish assumed to be August 15.
- This is visualized in the Gantt chart below using the counting back method
- This tells the team when they have to start working on the brochure.
- In this case, its November of the prior year. This could be a big shock, especially if you found yourself in february and learned how far behind you are.
- Hence the above process keeps you on track relative to the launch date.
An approach to sequence activities relative to launch date.
Source: Haines, S. (n.d.). The Product Manager’s Desk Reference.