What is a basic Product Master Plan ?
- Product Master Plan is the centerpiece meta-document that houses all product related documentation.
- Such plans have also found their ways as living documents in intranets or internal knowledge bases utilizing tools like Confluence or other similar comparative tools that allow the plan to be shareable among team members.
- The plan can be thought of as the perfect “tribal knowledge” document in organizations where people may come and go but the product remains.
- The plan must contain three key areas of info:
- Product and Product Line Documents
- Organization & Resources Information
- Product Business Information
- Master Plan is not strategy, rather a collection of appropriately drafted documents that help capture business goals, clarifies roles and responsibilities and serves as an archive for the product across the life cycle.
- Having such a plan can help prevent communication gaps across team members and management and easy on boarding of team members.
Source: Haines, S. (n.d.). The Product Manager’s Desk Reference.