You have a product / service idea, what stages should you flow through to get your a Minimum Viable Product out on which you can iterate and improve ?
Utilize Double Diamond Model from the The British Design Council. LINK
- Start your thinking process from the right end of above diagram and end on the left
- As you flow, diverge your thinking when the diamond expands. Converge, synthesize & prioritize your thinking as the diamond shrinks.
- First Half of each diamond is to generate ideas, options, problems & potential solutions.
- Second half of each diamond is to prioritize and execute the content generated in first half stages.
- Iterate above
- In team settings utilize design thinking sessions to chart above process out on a board or shared electronic media.
- Your idea flows in an efficient logical validation flow:
- Analyze the market environment your idea can be implemented in.
- Analyze of the market size your idea will cater to, measure an estimated the revenue scope of opportunity.
- Synthesizing knowledge of market needs and how your idea can meet those in ways other products haven’t
- Explore potential options based on available resources.
- Discover & validate the optimally possible solutions based on time, human and monetary resources available
- Prioritize a solution of choice
- Check for feasibility – technical, financial & other relevant organizational dimensions (E.g. Firm’s overall strategy)
- Deliver a working solution to market and gather real market feedback
- Use feedback to deepen understanding and iterate the process in second diamond
- Above process stage gates & distills ideas among product teams towards a feasible, practical and market deliverable minimum viable product option within optimal resources.
- The process also lays ground to spirally re-iterate and build on market feedback continuously over a product’s lifetime.