How to confirm a real market window ?
- Real market window are apparent when:
- There is nothing unique in the market
- The main competitors are inactive
- The customer need you have uncovered and solved for has no rival
- Seasonal market movements are well understood (fashion, holidays, model year changeover)
- Large company budgeting and buying cycles are easily identified
- Major industry events take place (U.S. Consumer Electronics Show each Jan in Las Vegas)
- The strategy for product should be closely tied to launch by making sure that you answer the question:
“When do we need to be in the market and why ?”
- Big firms like Apple and others understand such market windows do a great job creating market excitement for their products.
- Their launch plans are hatched far in advance to ensure that they achieve the maximum market impact.
Launching at correct market window can have a better impact on product’s overall launch and sales than launching at a busy time where customer’s attention is fragmented.
Source: Haines, S. (n.d.). The Product Manager’s Desk Reference.