How to collect and process ideas ?
- Firstly the collected ideas should be categorized as idea type:
- A minor enhancement to a product, such as a new feature or attribute
- A major enhancement to a product, such as a new feature or attributes
- A brand new product or derivative
- A new or upgraded product platform
- A breakthrough product unlike anything that exists in the category
- Next categorization is the idea source as given below. The question mark at their tip means – “What do we do with this ?”
- To sort out opportunities among these ideas, an initial screening ideas or rapid opportunity assessment is necessary.
- A document called opportunity statement shown as a template below can assist to capture these ideas.
A basic categorization process while collecting ideas by scope and source along with rapid opportunity assessment of those.
Source: Haines, S. (n.d.). The Product Manager’s Desk Reference.